Re: Oracle 10G flashback database/recovery area

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:28:17 +0100

On 8/29/06, Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One major drawback I see with it, is that you can only backup that area with
RMAN, and ONLY TO TAPE. So any backup-to-disk-to-tape strategies have to be
adjusted for this. Let alone, various software used for backup (Enterprise
level) doesn't support backing that up yet. ( i.e. HP Data Protector).

Well it is true that you can only backup the Flash recovery area to an SBT device which is a tape device unless you are using SBT_DISK I guess. I don't entirely understand your remarks though since the flash recovery area is primarily a backup to disk to tape strategy. Backup to the FRA then backup the FRA to tape.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA