Re: Oracle 10G flashback database/recovery area

  • From: "Stefan Knecht" <knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zanenj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:53:19 +0200

One major drawback I see with it, is that you can only backup that area with
RMAN, and ONLY TO TAPE. So any backup-to-disk-to-tape strategies have to be
adjusted for this. Let alone, various software used for backup (Enterprise
level) doesn't support backing that up yet. (i.e. HP Data Protector).

AFAIK it's only necessary for the flashback database feature, flashback
query, flashback table and the new transaction undo feature still use UNDO,
and the also-new Recyclebin.

Stefan

On 8/29/06, Zanen, dhr. J.A. (Jack) van <zanenj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I am implementing a new oracle 10G environment and am undecided on the
new feature "flashback recovery area".
It looks as if it is just a quicker way to do PITR, am I correct? Or
does it add to funcionality in flashback queries as well.

Do people out there use it, and what is the reasoning for it?
What is the impact on the RMAN backup.

Regards

Jack

Aan dit bericht en eventuele bijlagen kunnen geen rechten worden ontleend.

Het Provinciaal Bestuur van Noord-Holland.