Re: Oracle 10G RedHat Linux

  • From: Rob Braun <bbraun@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:59:04 -0700

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 01:47:39PM -0400, Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> According to the Quick Start Guide you need to setup ulimits.  However,
> apparently there must be somewhere were the user oracle has a certain
> number of processes allocated that conflict with these limits.  The
> error when logging on as oracle is:
>
> -bash: ulimit: max user processes: cannot modify limit
>
> What would I need to modify?

The QuickStart guide tells you to modify /etc/security/limits.conf
to up these limits in addition to in your bash profile (or the
equivalent for the shell you're running).
I ran into trouble when using ssh due to privsep.  Essentially,
the /etc/security/limits.conf settings won't take effect if you're
ssh'ing into the machine.  I worked around this by adding:
ulimit -u 16384
ulimit -n 16384

to /etc/init.d/sshd in the start() function.

Rob