Re: Ora Apps ERD's

  • From: cosmin ioan <cosmini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:00:43 -0800 (PST)

<<Oracle Apps does not maintain PK/FK relationships>>

what?  isn't this against all modeling & design principles of databases?
putting PK/FK, constraints, etc  IN THE DATABASE?  am I or someone missing
something big here?    admittedly, I'm new at this Ora Apps thingie and I've
read some articles that there are some 14,000 tables or so, across the
spectrum.  I've downloaded the 26gb install but have not even started
entertaining installing this on Windows or Linux.     ...but not having
integrity across that many tables, if this is true, is asking for trouble big
time, in my opinion.

cheers,
Cos

John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Unfortunately, except for a
few tables in selected modules, Oracle
Apps does not maintain PK/FK relationships which these modelling
systems use to reverse engineer. There is some consistency in the
column and table naming, but I doubt this will provide limited help.
Another issue is just the massive number of tables in EBS and the
integration between modules that can prove to be more than daunting if
you attempt to draw a meaningful picture....

> I think Cosmin meant aligning the visual layout.  You know, getting the
> boxes and lines on the ERDs unjumbled, relationship links lined up
> nicely with no crazy detours around the page, related tables drawn
> vaguely close to each other.
>
> The kind of alignment that any ER modelling system - ERWin,
> PowerDesigner, System Architect - is soooo good at doing for you ...
> NOT! :-)

Just my 2c!
--
John Kanagaraj <><