Re: Options for poorly performing SQL

  • From: Michael Fontana <michael.fontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 15:55:34 -0600 (CST)

<< -----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Andrew Kerber
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2013 11:17 AM
To: carlos.sierra.usa@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx; oracle-l
Subject: Re: Options for poorly performing SQL
I have had this problem before, and while part of the problem is most likely
the dynamically generated sql, the core of the problem may well be that they
simply do not know how to change the code that is generated.  I have run into
that case before, I identified bad sql, sent it to them, and got no response at
all.  After some digging I realized that all they really knew was how to work
with the Java objects to get data from the database, they had no understanding
of where the code was actually coming from, what it said, or how to change it.
On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Carlos Sierra >>

The root cause is that people who write application code appear to have an
unreasonable disdain for everything not in the programming language of choice,
of which SQL is notoriously not.  The only way I've ever seen this overcome is
to have a database programming design and development group.  Anyone who
designs a database application without rigorous attention to the critical
database interface to their application are simply not serious or professional
at all.