Re: Opinions on Indexing options for search capabilities

  • From: William B Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: wbfergus@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 08:48:07 -0600

Anybody have any ideas, opinions, or test case examples?

I'm a complete context newbie and really have no idea if it's a viable
option or not, or if it would simplify my requirements.

Thanks.

                               Bill Ferguson
            U.S. Geological Survey - Minerals Information Team
                           PO Box 25046, MS-750
                           Denver Federal Center
                          Denver, Colorado 80225
           Voice (303)236-8747 ext. 321     Fax   (303)236-4208
      ~ Think on a grand scale, start to implement on a small scale ~

William B Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
09/08/2006 06:55 AM
Please respond to
wbfergus@xxxxxxxx

"oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Indexing opinions for search capabilities

Hi all,

I have about 30 data tables with a total of around 250 fields. I also have
the requirement that the users should be able to search all fields for any
kind of value.

So, I'm currently debating which would be the most effective way to
implement this. At first I was debating between either a big index for
each table with all of the columns vs. a seperate index for each column
with the primary key.

Then I was reading on asktom the other day (
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:440419921146
) about context, so now I'm debating using that approach, but I know
nothing about it other than what I've read.

My structure is such that most tables are strictly a parent-child
relationship, so those won't be too difficult to combine into a large
'super-query' for context, but I do have 4 tables that reside in a
parent-child-grandchild relationship as well. I have no CLOB's or BLOB's
at this time, though they will be added in the future. I'll also have to
add a few sdo_geometry fields in the future, but I don't think those
really pertain to this issue.

I'm thinking that using the context approach would be far simpler to
implement, as I can then simplify my search 'form' to a single textarea
field, instead of a huge form with about 250 search fields, and then the
programming and logic for multiple criteria per field, etc.

Does anybody have any experience with the two approaches and hopefully
some pertinent examples of how context IS the preferred (and most
efficient) solution?

My parent table has about 330,000 rows, and my largest child table only
has 750,000 rows, if table rowcounts make any difference.