Re: OpenWorld DVD

  • From: Ahbaid Gaffoor <ahbaid@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:28:32 -0700

Indeed!

I signed up for the free pass and live about an hr from SFO, I didn't attend, I just could not stand the marketing hype, yes there are a few excellent presentations, but Oracle Open World is becoming more marketing oriented. I've reduced myself to only attending if a new release was issued that year. I could not convince myself to go to SFO to hear and see the hype.

My favorites that I do try to attend are:

1) Hotsos, been there three times and am planning to attend yearly, it's so good I may even pay out of pocket if I have to 2) NoCOUG - our local user group in Northen California, has quarterly seminars which are excellent, cost? $80 for 1 year, excellent deal

regards
Ahbaid

Peter Robson wrote:
Two Hundred Dollars! Excuse my cynicism, but when was it ever worth paying that much to see / watch Oracle promotion stuff? Even assuming there were some presentations that you REALLY wanted to see, it still means you are paying good money for a lot of irrelevant stuff.

If Oracle feels it can get people to pay for these presentations, they will. I remember conferences in which attendees were automatically provided with the presentations on disk, but the DVD was always a problem. How do you capture ppt animations, short of filming the presentation over the heads of the delegates? Hardly the height of technology. And many presenters will not pass on their copyright presentations involving innovative presentation techniques (which often involve very long hours of careful preparation) just so Oracle can bundle them onto a disk and make more money.

Don't be seduced by all the promotional fluff of the 'biggest Oracle event of the year' stuff. Take a very hard look at just why you want this disk,,, and consider the alternatives of obtaining the material (as a previous writer has suggested).

peter