Re: OpenWorld DVD

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Finn Jorgensen" <finn.oracledba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 17:12:27 -0700

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Finn Jorgensen
<finn.oracledba@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I've always tried to make a point of staying away from sessions held by
> Oracle employees (although there are exceptions) and certainly stay away
> from the keynotes.

In the past I would have agreed with that, but I felt differently about it
this year.

Greg Marsden is the mgr of the Linux Dev Group (I think that's right, I'm
sure I
have his name right) presented a talk about 'Bullet Proofing your Linux"
systems.

Greg was very knowledgeable, and provided a great deal of very detailed
information.

Andrew Holdsworth, Graham Wood, John Beresniewicz, Greg Rahn, Uri Shaft,
and a couple others whose names I didn't get recorded, are all Oracle
employees
and all performance experts.  They involved either in Oracle DB performance
based sessions, or Performance Round Tables.

If you want to know how Oracle works, and how to make it perform, these are
people you should pay attention to.

The SQL Developer data modeling tool was presented by the product mgr,
in a detail heavy, no nonsense style that provided a lot of information.

I've walked out of presentations in the past, but stayed through all of them
this year.

As for the keynotes, I only attended one, and that was the big one on
Wednesday
when the new Oracle Accelerator product was announced.

That was really quite good, they provided an overview of the products
architecture,
along with customer testimonials.  LG and Mar-tel both have very large data
warehouses
and have been very pleased with the product, experiencing anywhere from 10x
-36x
performance improvements.

Some details were provided about the product.  (I'm working from memory, my
notes
are in some other part of the house, and too lazy to go look for them :)

In essence a single module of the storage system is 2 4 core Intel procs,
running
Oracle Linux, and 12 disk drives of up to 1TB each.

The storage processors understand Oracle.  The details of how this works
were
not provided, but the end result is that the SP's ensure that the storage is
not returning
disk blocks to the Oracle server, but rather returning query results.

Pretty cool stuff IMO, and there doesn't seem to be much competition:

 Netezza : dedicated HW data warehouse appliances. The little I know
  about it is that it doesn't work with Oracle, and the database is does
  work with seems to be rather primitive.

Teredata:  NCR's DW database.  Runs only on 64 bit Windows last time I
  looked at it, but that may have changed.  According to Ellison "a pretty
  good database", but it can't match the performance of the new Oracle
stuff.

That was the only keynote I attended, but it was pretty good.

Just my opinions I guess, but I was really quite happy with Open World this
year.

--
Jared Still