Open Source

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:42:18 -0700

And to think, pundits have asked why PolyServe doesn't open source
our goodies...

If Linux is in your future, I hope you really really like Oracle support
:-)

        "Red Hat is too small and does not do a very good job of
supporting [its customers]. ... The great thing about open source, the
most interesting thing to me is the intellectual property. ... We can
just take Red Hat's intellectual property and make it ours, they just
don't have it."
Ellison's attitude isn't all that surprising, since he made similar
statements
<http://www.oreillynet.com/onjava/blog/2006/04/ellisons_ft_interview.htm
l>  about JBoss following Red Hat's acquisition of the Java middleware
company in April:
        "Why didn't we buy JBoss? Because we don't have to - if it ever
got good enough we'd just take the intellectual property - just like
Apache - embed it in our fusion middleware suite, and we're done."

Kevin Closson
Chief Architect, Oracle Database Solutions
PolyServe, Inc
kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.polyserve.com/oracle_consolidation.php
http://www.polyserve.com/oracle_rac_clusters.php