Online "tablespace" reorg ?

  • From: Bob <bobmetelsky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:53:44 -0400

All-
Is there such a thing as online tablespace reorg?

All, I've been tasked to perform an "online reorg of our tablespaces"
 From my research I come to these findings.

1 - tablespace reorg is not a popular topic and only seems to be  available
using oem which  due to our diverse environment, I need to use  a
sqlplus script.  From  reading ask tom he is claiming there really isn't
anything to "reorg" in a tablespace - recreate yes - reorg no
Is this correct?

2 My plans would be to create new tablespaces using LMT and ASSM, then alter
table move .. new tablespace.  The LMT would minimizes future fragmentation
and ASSM would benefit by using the alter table shrink; statement to alter
the HWM in the future.

Questions,
1 - Is there such a thing as online reorg of tablespaces and if so
documentation on its use?
2 - Are there any issues that  I'm overlooking in item 2

Thanks Bob

side note -dbms_refefination looks like what I've been told to look for but
that is on the table level and not going to help because the tablespaces
are  DMT. I don't need to redef the tables I'm really looking to reclaim
space from the tablespaces as well as putting the tables in LMT and ASSM
mode