Re: Online Upgrade

  • From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: puravc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:45:07 +0100

Purava,

Oracle implemented the new 11.2 Feature "Edition-Based Redefinition"
for exactly that purpose.
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14072_01/appdev.112/e10471/adfns_editions.htm
Of course the application must be prepared for such an upgrade.
There is also criticism around:
http://www.pythian.com/news/29893/r12-2-online-patching-%E2%80%93-what-are-the-hidden-costs/

Of course, similar techniques can be implemented just by hand, in any
case a zero-downtime-application is even more complex and expensive
than an application with is designed with downtimes for maintenance
tasks.

 Martin