RE: Off-topic

  • From: Bob Lofstrand <blofstrand@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:51:40 -0500

There is nothing (that I know of) in informix that is just like the
translate function. The closest would the replace function which is more
equivalent to the regexp substitute. (s/this/that) To get the same effect
you would need to nest the replace doing something crazy like
trim(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace
'),'7',' '),'8',' '),'9',' ')). If you are going to be doing this on a
result set of any real size you should probably write a procedure to take
care of this.

Informix is a great engine but it has always lagged on the features.