Odd app question questions

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 09:02:24 -0400

If anyone has seen the following I'd appreciate what fixed the issue:

                First the environment:

                Oracle 11.1.0.7.4 on RedHat Linux x86-64

                Front end is also on RedHat Linux, x86-64 using Tomcat
for a Java application written in Hibernate.

                Problem is that an individual displays a pick list of
items to work on, goes off to work on one and then returns.
Intermittently the list is blank, but if they refresh their browser the
list populates.  Note that the query always returns the appropriate
results in sql*plus when the issue occurs.

                Further note: The app in written here for client usage
and is also having database locking problems due to locking inside the
Java pool.  We see in the catalina log that one session will process an
update, a second will process an identical update a second or so later
and then the first will get the java lock saying that someone else
already has that object locked.  Long story and a messy one too.  As
usual it's a db issue you know.

Richard Goulet

Senior Oracle DBA/Na Team Leader