Re: Oarcle and RAID question

  • From: <rjsearle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DGoulet@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:09:27 +1000

it really depends on the profile of your DB? If is used for OLTP and teh SAN
has enough cache then maybe raid 5 would be OK for you. It is cheaper (fewer
physical disks) but has a write performance penalty. this is no big deal if
you are doing lots of small writes. If the DB is more of a DSS(DW) then the
big queries, and summaries will result inlarge writes and the SAN cache will
be filled quickly dropping you back to physical write speeds. In that
environment, I would prefer RAID 10. If you have the cash, then I personally
like the SAME approach (Stripe And Mirror Everything) Ssimple! and
Effective!
 I"d love to know what you decide. We are about to implement an EMC SAN here
and we have a 250Gb DW / OLTP. (don't ask)
 Russell