Re: OVM

  • From: John Piwowar <jpiwowar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: d.s.zechman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:50:50 -0700

We use OVM at my company for training and other purposes, extensively
enough that the uptime requirements (including for training) could warrant
calling it a "quasi-production" environment. But that's not exactly a
strong counter-case.

I suspect that "NO ONE uses it in production" is a reductive market share
analysis, since OVM doesn't have as wide a footprint as, say, VMWare in
production environments.  The nice thing about that statement is that all
you need is one customer to counter it; the annoying part is that as soon
you have one, it'll be labelled with "yeah, but, that's just one (or two,

Your best bet to put together a counter-argument, in addition to gathering
anecdotes here, is to reach out to Oracle to see if you can get some
reference customers.  There might even be some folks watching oracle-l who
can put you in touch w/ the right people.