Re: OT - tablet or e-reader for reading manuals / course books

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:42:16 +1000

On 21/04/2013 8:56 PM, D'Hooge Freek wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking to buy either a tablet or an e-reader fo tablet to mainly
> read manuals and course books, so what would you recommend , an e-reader
> or a tablet?
> And, which one?
>
> Features I would like to have is to make annotations and highlight parts
> of the text.

If you want to annotate there is really no practical alternative: tablet.
The e-readers have a way-too-small screen to be usable for anything
other than pagination.
I use a Kobo reader for Oracle manuals in e-pub format - converted with
Calibra, which I highly recommend as a way to organize e-readers,
whatever make they be.
It is slower than the kindle, but quite usable.  The Kindle is still the
most practical for general reading, with its much higher speed.
Tablets have one big advantage: they can be used for just about anyting,
while e-readers have really just one function.

To me, each has its advantages and I seem to have found a balance
between the ipad, Kobo and Kindle.
Mind you: the kindle colour is not available to Australia, that might be
a game changer.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto