RE: OT : compress & write to tape - how to ?

  • From: Stephen.Lee@xxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:51:25 -0500

For what it's worth, I like cpio.  I don't know about now, but tar used to
have some limitations that make it unsuitable.  For example, it used to
(don't know about now) have a limit on the number of characters (limit was
80) allowed in a file name that was less that what the OS allowed.  I ran
into this when tar-ing directories that contained object files generated by
the old Rogue Wave C++ stuff.

Back in my sys admin days, I found cpio completely reliable for backing up
(and restoring!!) entire systems.  It reliably backed up and restore ALL
file types (pipes, soft links, devices, etc.).