Re: OT: VMWare Seminar

  • From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle Discussion List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:18:42 +0800

I'm pretty sure Oracle do in fact support db's on VMWare - there's a
metalink note about it somewhere.  The caveat they add is that if you
find a problem, you need to be able to reproduce under non-VMWare
conditions.

I'm currently working with a company who have one big IBM box and they
are running Oracle Apps on it with 3 virtual machines (2xapp server, 1
x database).

I still don't think its the smartest thing they've done...but it does
all work (so far)

hth
connor

On 6/15/05, mhthomas <qnxodba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Just got back from the travelling VMWare seminar. It was great.
>=20
> In my opinion, from what I saw at the seminar and reading the current
> Oracle support position, I expect Oracle to change and fully support
> and/or certify on at least one version of VMWare. I can remember Larry
> on stage saying he would not support LINUX, too. I might not have
> expected this before attending the seminar. Maybe Oracle is already
> working with VMWare to take advantage of virtualization, to expand
> Oracle's grid or whatever, and I'm not aware. Who knows?
>=20
> For one example, Intel is building virtualization into a future CPU
> and is working with VMWare. I expect Oracle will want to run on these
> production servers when they start being deployed. VMWare mentioned
> the ESX client virtual machine gets a CPU by socket, rather than
> confusing variations with hyperthreading. Another example, running
> servers can be migrated and/or balanced to other hosts based on
> utilization. The comparisons of MS Virtual PC and VMWare were
> logically summarized by MS' desupport of Virtual PC. There was so much
> good information in the seminar its not possible to repeat everything.
>=20
> As consolation prize, if you don't like the seminar, the free copy of
> Workstation is nice. I thought one free copy was good until I found
> out about the VMWare Technology Network for developer's and testers,
> including all their products for an annual fee. :-)
>=20
> Regards,
>=20
> Mike Thomas
> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
>=20

--=20
Connor McDonald
=3D=3D
email: connor_mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx
web:   http://www.oracledba.co.uk

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat"