Re: OT: Survey of Linux vendors for running an Oracle database

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 14:42:16 -0700

On 26/11/2013 10:27 AM, Jeffrey Beckstrom wrote:
We are considering a migration from Windows to Linux for our databases and
application tiers.  To gauge usage, I have created a short three question
survey on which vendor is most popular.  I would appreciate you taking the
survey at:  https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8JPD3ZZ
One thing I note in your survey is the lack of geographic context.

RedHat and clones are popular in North America. SuSE more so in Europe. Asia has it's AsiaLinux ...

In North America I am finding more and more curiosity about OEL, with more organizations biting the 'lower cost for OEL support' and 'one throat to choke' hooks. Since 'generic kernel' is the same source as RHEL, not much risk involved, and Oracle does have pretty competent Linux staff as well as kernel maintainers.

With the OracleVM CPU 'partitioning' and ability to configure and therefore license by CPUs in use rather than CPUs on board, OEL seems to also come into the discussion.

/Hans