OT? Rhas 3.0 rpm quandary

  • From: "Boivin, Patrice J" <BoivinP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:28:22 -0400

I ran into a pl/sql exception problem on the em10g main screen, after over
two weeks back and forth with Metalink I decided to reinstall everything.

I re-installed rhas 3.0 es on the server, applied package updates.

Applied the oui patch.

Started installing em10g.

The oui is not happy, it warns me about the openmotif package.  It can't
find the version it is looking for.

It turns out that the version I have on my machine is newer than what em10g
is looking for.  There are some metalink notes about openmotif versions and
reports, I don't know if this applies to em10g.

I tell the gui applications add/remove tool to deinstall openmotif, then to
reinstall it.  It reinstalls the new version instead of the original, older
version from CD.

I go to a terminal window, use rpm -e to deinstall openmotif, then rpm -q
openmotif to see if it's gone -- it is gone.

I copy the original openmotif version from cd3 to local disk, then use rpm
-ivh to install the openmotif (old version).  Rpm says that openmotif (newer
version number) is already on the machine.  Yet when I do rpm -q it tells me
openmotif is not installed.

I tried rpm -U; rpm --force; nothing seems to work.

No info on the Red Hat site, they seem to have just copied and pasted
passages from the rpm.org site.

Has anyone run into this before?  What do you do when rpm is confused?

I suspect there is an entry somewhere that mentions the new version of
openmotif, but when I de-installed the package that didn't get cleaned.

I am about do search the whole hard disk to find any file that mentions the
new version number... If that fails I will probably reinstall, I'm getting
good at that now...

Patrice.