RE: OT: Reasons to NOT write an Oracle book

  • From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx" <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 09:59:38 -0700

re: write because they like it. More like they did not realize how much effort
was involved, how few copies would sell, how extensively their book would be
pirated, how little they would earn in royalties, how hurtful the reviews can
be, that the schedule is what matters most to the publisher, etc. At least
that's what I did not realize. My advice to all those who ask me how to become
an author is "don't."
But if there's anybody who have read all my advice and are still want to write
a technical book, feel free to contact me and I'll guide you through the
process.
Iggy

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 11:58:18 -0400
Subject: Re: OT: Reasons to NOT write an Oracle book
From: oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx
To: iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think most authors are consultants. The returns come from the marketing
people get for writing the books. I have been reading alot of novelist author
blogs the last few years for fun. Authors in general don't make much money.
Most work full time and write because they like it. I get the vibe that many if
not the majority may earn less than minimum wage on their publishing. One
interesting tidbit from some author blogs is that there were number of cases of
'business type' books shooting to the top of the New York Times bestseller list
than disappearing. Apparently consultants would pay a service to buy their
books so they could use it for marketing. NYT bestseller list had to change how
they calculate these kinds of bestsellers. It worked with niche books like this
due to the low volume of sales. Too bad there isn't a technical book bestseller
list... if there were we could team up, copy and paste stuff from the docs, pay
service to get us to #1 and then raise our rates?
My understanding is that the top 3 books on the NY Times bestseller list earn
more than the rest of the bestseller list combined and the bestseller list out
earns the next 3 million books combined.
On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Dear list,
I've revising my beginner DBA book for 12c and can' t help thinking about the
reasons to NOT write a book. Here are a few.
It's not worth the effort. The market is saturated with books; so much
information is available online that nobody buys many books nowadays; your book
will be pirated on the day it is published; it will be obsolete very quickly;
prices are low unlike college textbooks and much lower in emerging markets; the
royalty is 10% of the wholesale price--not the list price--and has to be shared
by all the co-authors. You'll be lucky if your book sells 5000 copies over a
five-year period. Assuming that the list price is $40 and the wholesale price
is $20 and that you have one co-author, and that you spent 500 hours writing
and researching, you are literally getting paid minimum wage for your effort.
Writer beware.
You will make terrible mistakes that will haunt you for ever. In my case, I
made a horrible mistake on page 22 of my book that was soon discovered by a
beginner who was testing every line of code for himself.
Some of the reviews will make you cringe. You will wish that you had reviewers
BEFORE you finished the book, not after the book was printed.
To you work and family commitments come first but, to the publisher, the book
comes first. To you quality is everything but, to the publisher, the schedule
is more important and I quote "It is better to go to market first with a good
enough book than to be months late with a perfect book. A successful good
enough book can be improved in a second edition. A failed perfect book is
simply a failure. Schedule matters to your publisher. Variable pay is the norm.
Missed quarterly and yearly targets can cost your editor and others whom you
work with hundreds, even a few thousands of dollars. Those same missed targets
hurt the business too."
On the plus side, you can send a copy to your mom and she will show it to all
her friends.
That off my chest, I would appreciate any help in reviewing the first drafts so
that I can put out a better book. Comments on accuracy as well as clarity and
readability would be very welcome. I will post the finished chapters to Google
Docs so that anybody can make comments inline. I will be very grateful for help
and will acknowledge all those who helped in the preface. Please let me know if
you can help.
Kindest regards,Iggy