RE: OT Oracle Server Operating System

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:19:51 -0400

All,

I thought that this was a lousy idea to begin with.  Interesting, but
lousy.

What organization would want to start supporting *another* operating
system?

And yet Oracle has continued the concept in 10g with disk management
software.  The problem is that Oracle has to compete in other market
space for these products.  Is their disk management software better than
EMC or IBM Shark disk?  For a small organization, it may make sense
because they do not have the staff or talent to learn all of these
hardware/software layers.  But for a large organization that has support
staff all up and down the infrastructure chain, it is a hard sell.  For
someone to stop using Veritas, EMC or Shark management tools for the new
(and unproven) Oracle toolset is a tough pull.

Just my little opinion.

Tom