OT - Oracle Gateway to a DB2 10.1 database.

  • From: "Johnson, William L (TEIS)" <WLJohnson@xxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 13:03:29 -0500

Ok - so we have an odd situation and I am hoping someone has some good
experience and maybe some good examples or references.
We have a mainframe system running Cobol programs that currently connect to an
Oracle 11gR2 database.  Compliments of a migration, the Oracle 11gR2 database
is moving to IBM DB2 10.1.

We are struggling with the coding changes required to the Cobol programs and
found out that IBM never wrote a DB2 client for the mainframe to access a LUW
DB2 database.

So, we are now looking to implement an Oracle Gateway to DB2 to try and avoid
major changes to the Cobol code.

Does anyone have experience setting up the Oracle Gateway to DB2 and all of the
associated tasks that must occur on the DB2 side of the house?

It the Oracle Gateway does not work, we can setup a DB2 ZOS database and
configure a pass-through to the LUW DB2 database - but we will have to make
significant code changes and still configure things on the DB2 database.  None
of which we are familiar with today.

Does anyone have experience in either of these areas?

Thanks in advance!
Bill