Re: OT: Network latency benchmarks or tests ? (re NFS)

  • From: kyle Hailey <kylelf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:45:29 -0700

I would be interested in a tool where I could configure a send size such as
8K,16K,32K and get latency information on these send sizes.
I'm thinking something like netio could be modified to do this, but seems
like someone else must have be interested in these measurements in the past.

The latency times 8K transfers (and multples there of) would be more
relevant to the actual use case  of  figuring how how much network overhead
there is for transferring database block(s) off of NFS. I'd also expect a
tool that was transferring data would stand a greater chance than ping of
hitting any issues such as packet loss and retransmissions.

Ping has a packet size setting, but when the size is over 1500 bytes it
often seems to hang

Typically, I'd expect ping to be the low end response time but it's been
pointed out that ping can fluctuate a fair bit due to OS scheduling

http://www.mail-archive.com/dtrace-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg01284.html

          run ping and trace with dtrace

> # ./ping.d -c 'ping -s 192.168.1.108 56 7'
> ----192.168.1.108 PING Statistics----
> 7 packets transmitted, 7 packets received, 0% packet loss
> round-trip (ms)  min/avg/max/stddev = 0.189/0.430/0.526/0.110

dtrace output:

>   ICMP round-trip (ns)
>            value  ------------- Distribution ------------- count
>            90000 |@@@@@@                                   1
>            91000 |@@@@@@@@@@@                              2
>            93000 |@@@@@@                                   1
>            98000 |@@@@@@                                   1
>           100000 |@@@@@@                                   1
>           101000 |@@@@@@                                   1
>
> Looking good.  Note that the measured times are between 0.090
> and 0.102 ms,
> unlike the summary from ping - which has an average of 0.430 ms!

         also checkout "superping.d" in the new dtrace book

These kinds of inaccuracies undermine the measurements for me. One of the
best cases of ping data seems to be, as in smokeping, showing the
variability of network traffic latency and the more variability then, the
reasoning goes, the more issues on the net, but if the OS itself is
introducing much of the variability then that undermines the data and
reasoning.

I'm looking for a tool that would measure the similar kind of latencies as
that one might see  in an Oracle database reading off of an NFS mount.

- Kyle
http://dboptimizer.com