OT: Counterquestion - is Oracle a He or a She - or an It or a hermaphrodite

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <AmihayG@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:01:48 -0400

In Hellenic (Greek/Western) cultural history, the Oracles of Apollo at
Delphi are arguably the preeminent reference of "Oracle."

Those were alleged virgin females sitting in a contraption that looked sort
of like a lifeguard chair in a temple built over a fissure whence spewed a
natural gaseous hallucinogenic cocktail. Thus dosed, the "Oracle of Delphi"
tended to give 60's hippie/yippie style answers (but in Greek, I suppose) to
lightly dosed supplicants.

So I'm thinkin' Oracle is a high flyin' she, which partly explains why she
thinks a zero length string is a null value but simultaneously understands
that a numeric zero is not a null.

Regards,

mwf

Counterquestion - is Oracle a He or a She - or an It or a hermaphrodite

<snip>