OS upgrade for RAC

  • From: "Hameed, Amir" <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 14:05:39 +0000

Folks,
We are running a four-node RAC (both Grid and RDBMS are 11.2.0.4) on Solaris 10
update 10. We need to upgrade our database and grid to 12c and that requires
the OS to be at a minimum of Solaris 10 Update 11. What I would like to find
out is that if we do a rolling OS upgrade where we upgrade one RAC node at a
time from Solaris10/Update10 to Solaris10/Update11, for how long can these RAC
nodes stay out of synch in terms of the OS revision level? Is it possible to
upgrade OS on one node every week and spread the entire process over four
weeks? Oracle's response was that the maximum these hosts can stay out of synch
is 1-2 days but I would like to validate it from the list.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Amir