Re: OS Patches

  • From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ozgur.ozdemircili@xxxxxxxxx'" <ozgur.ozdemircili@xxxxxxxxx>, "'mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 07:56:23 -0600

Ozgur,

A local repository would not have helped him here. His issues started because
the system restarted in the middle of an update, leaving it in incoherent
state. None of the operating system out there could survive that especially if
something critical was being patched. I know windows will not allow updates on
battery for the same reasons.

A couple of months ago, someone on this list should a way of updating a
production system from redhat repository with the same binaries that were
applied on the test environment. It was yum related and I tested it and it
worked like a charm. Will post the link if I can find it. I thought that was
the best way to go around redhat ever changing repository

I am surprised though there is still a lot of changes on RHEL4. That version is
already in the 3rd phase of redhat support and receive just critical updates. I
would therefore consider it prudent to apply them unless its not a connected to
public network