ORA-230 and RMAN scheduling

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:50:47 -0600 (CST)

Hey all,

In the past few weeks, I've had my full RMAN backups fail with ORA-230.
Checking on logs and timings, I believe that the scheduled RMAN archivelog
backups are coinciding with the controlfile autobackup.  It appears to be
complete coincidental, however it's happening with increased frequency.

Of course, since I'm the only DBA here, I've attempted to consolidate all
Oracle DB management into Grid Control (GC 10.2.0.3.0 with 10.1.0.5.0 DBs),
including RMAN scheduling.  The only way I can see to prevent the obnoxious
GC backup scheduling from comflicting is to convert my half-hour repeating
archivelog backups schedule to 20 different daily ones, save for the
estimated time of the full backup.  Obviously, this isn't my first choice.

I'd like ("like" isn't the right word here) to stick with GC in order to
maintain simplicity in management.  Thoughts on avoiding the ORA-230?  I'm
starting the fulls 10 minutes later for now, but this is a temporary bandaid
that will surely break in the future.

TIA!
Rich