Re: ORA-12838 please : Is possible to append two times to the same table before doing a commit

  • From: Mark Richard <mrichard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:46:33 +1000

I believe Oracle is enforcing this to guarantee consistency of the
database.  I realise you are probably using the APPEND hint for performance
reasons but is it really necessary?

Otherwise you could perhaps look at move complex arrangements involving
temporary tables for the two inserts and then a single insert into the
final table.  Perhaps even place the first query into a temporary table and
then for the second query add "union all select * from temp_table" to the
end to combine the two results.  Some times you have to work with what you
are given - I doubt it's an Oracle bug, there's probably a real
complication with performing two appended inserts on a table without
commiting the first lot of data (perhaps a sudden inability to rollback the
transaction).

                                                                           =
                                                         =20
                      "Juan Cachito                                        =
                                                         =20
                      Reyes Pacheco"            To:       <oracle-l@freelis=
ts.org>                                                  =20
                      <jreyes@dazasoftwa        cc:                        =
                                                         =20
                      re.com>                   Subject:  Re: ORA-12838 ple=
ase : Is possible to append two times to the same table  =20
                      Sent by:                   before doing a commit     =
                                                         =20
                      oracle-l-bounce@fr                                   =
                                                         =20
                      eelists.org                                          =
                                                         =20
                                                                           =
                                                         =20
                                                                           =
                                                         =20
                      02/04/2004 08:51                                     =
                                                         =20
                      Please respond to                                    =
                                                         =20
                      oracle-l                                             =
                                                         =20
                                                                           =
                                                         =20
                                                                           =
                                                         =20

Hi Mladlen the idea is this, maybe there is a hidden parameter, or some
workaround to this.
I read in a previous post in this forum this seems to be a bug.

And I can't do a commit between them. >:)

SQL> CREATE TABLE TEST( A NUMBER );

Tabla creada.

SQL> INSERT /*+ APPEND */ INTO TEST SELECT ROWNUM FROM DBA_OBJECTS WHERE
ROWNUM<
5;

4 filas creadas.

SQL> INSERT /*+ APPEND */ INTO TEST SELECT ROWNUM FROM DBA_OBJECTS WHERE
ROWNUM<
5;
INSERT /*+ APPEND */ INTO TEST SELECT ROWNUM FROM DBA_OBJECTS WHERE
ROWNUM<5
                          *
ERROR en l=DDnea 1:
ORA-12838: no se puede leer/modificar un objeto despu=DAs de modificarlo en
paralelo

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>=

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for =
delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this m=
essage to anyone.
In such a case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sende=
r by reply e-mail or by telephone on (03) 9612-6999 or (61) 3 9612-6999.
Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Inter=
net e-mail for messages of this kind.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not rel=
ate to the official business of Transurban Infrastructure Developments Limi=
ted and CityLink Melbourne Limited shall be understood as neither given nor=
 endorsed by them.