RE: ORA-04031 error while trying to load a PL/SQL object

  • From: "John Kanagaraj" <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 14:21:18 -0800

Amir,

An ORA-4031 error on an Apps database needs to be considered in the same
way as a 'normal' database. It is probably caused some program or
process that executes a large number of small, non-resusable SQL. One
normally thinks of user written SQL, but I have seen a severe case of
ORA-4031 caused by a cronjob that regrants SELECT access to a
read-account. The SQL generated thousands of 'grant select on <> to
read_only_account' on all objects and held the shared pool/lib cache
latch for long periods, while polluting it with small statements that
broke up contiguos free space. Do you encounter lots of lib cache/shared
pool latching? If so, you must trace them to see where/why they occur
and you might discover the source of the 4031s.... YMMV!

Fyi, ORA-4031 is considered a 'user error', not a system error for
whatever reason. You need to have an entry in the init.ora using the
event parameter for an ORA-4031 error to be logged in the alert log. If
you can check the older init.ora for the 8i instance, you might see
this... Btw, there was a nice article from COE in either Metalink or OTN
about the shared pool recently (don't have the URL but it was mentioned
in this list).

Let the list know if you come across something, since that is how we all
learn!

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Co-Author: Oracle Database 10g Insider Solutions