RE: ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:07:11 -0500

What version of Oracle?

I notice that the error is on the specification but that the body
created.  Did both the specification and the body exist prior to running
this?  Were they both valid?

If you separate the specification and the body into separate files and
re-run just the specification does it work or duplicate the error?  If
you drop the package and then re-run your code what happens?

Taking a wag, I would guess that there might be an error in your
specification code and that the error message is just misleading/bad.
Dropping the existing package and then attempting to recreate it from
your code might then show the real error.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --