ORA-00230 during RMAN backup

  • From: "Jack van Zanen" <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:15:41 +1000

Hi All,

I'm doing an RMAN backup that includes automatic backup of controlfile.

The script has been working fine sofar but today I got this ORA message.

I looked up the message and basically it means that another process has a
lock on the controlfile while RMAN tries to back it up.

Now I did check what other processes are suppose to be running at that time
and there is just no other processes around the time that I got this
message. There is not even a lot of activity on the database causing
excessive log switching or anything.

Backup script:

Run

{

Delete noprompt backup;

Backup database format 'OraBackups/application/DB_%d_%U';

Backup archivelog all format 'OraBackups/application/AL_d%_%U' delete all
input;

}

We do not back up to tape directly.

Configured:

Controlfile autobackup on

Controlfile autobackup format ..

Default device type disk

Device type disk parallelism 10 backup type to backupset

Snapshot controlfile name to '...'

These scripts are leftover from previous DBA and will be changed after I
have convinced the powers that be that we are better off with backup
database plus archivelogs. Hopefully next week.

The deletes are needed as there is a shortage of backup space on disk so we
can not hold 2 days worth of backups on disk.

We are going to be testing compressed backups (10G) any bad experience with
it?

Brgds

Jack