RE: ORA-00001: unique constraint (MYDB.SYS_C006557) violated

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ORACLE-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 07:27:10 -0400

You're welcome.

Often, midnight or one second past midnight on Jan. 1, 1970 can be well
known as the value for "this is not a real date" in honor of the epoch time
of UNIX. There are other reasonable choices as well, particularly if you are
doing history or something like that.  In some cases having a special value
is not useful, but it does prevent row length change when it is updated to
the "real date" that may later be appearing. And you can search for it with
an equals predicate on an index if you're looking for dates that haven't
been processed yet.

If you're not worried about row length change (or if there is a positive
trade-off versus having a lower pctfree) you can use defaults values for
rows inserted without values for particular columns. With a default chosen
that is unlikely to by a real value, you can check the data dictionary for
this value to firewall your application software instead of relying on a
presumed constant (like 1/1/1970.)

Often a little bit of planning of this nature in the data model design
considered against the planned data flow through an application can make
implementing the system easier, and you may indeed end up with a system
containing few nulls. One notable exception is having a final status value
of null to mean "DONE" on an indexed transaction control column, which takes
advantage of the fact that all null index entries do not appear in the index
for routine Oracle indexes (circling back to the original topic).

mwf