Re: OPTIMIZER MODE

  • From: Ron Chennells <ron.chennells@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 13:05:27 +0100

Ram
I worked on a SIEBEL CRM system a while ago.
SIEBEL sets first_rows_10 at the session level for it's connections (mostly),
May be worth seeing if you could set session level parameters in your case.

Quoting Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland@xxxxxxxxx>:

Ram,

Jonathan Lewis has a good blogpost about this: http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/first_rows_n/. Randolf Geist has also done a presentation on FIRST_ROWS (actually FIRST_ROWS_n to be precise) on last year's UKOUG.

In essence:
a) general advise is to use ALL_ROWS, unless your system generally only uses the first rows the query returns. Most systems use the entire query resultset. b) if you already have your system running on FIRST_ROWS, a change of optimizer mode will impact your entire system, so not just change it.

frits
On Jul 6, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Ram K wrote:

Listers,

We have a new 11g based hybrid application that a third party vendor is configuring. We observe some slowness in the response times. I do not see any slow sql in v$sql. The vendor is recommending that we set the OPTIMIZER_MODE to FIRST_ROWS to get better response times, among other parameter changes. I have read in few sources that FIRST_ROWS is not generally used, with oracle itself using ALL_ROWS. Can anyone advise?

--
Thanks,
Ram.

Ron Chennells
Phone  07973674756
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronchennells

http://www.parkwestit.com
Park West It Ltd.
Registered Office 40 Jesmond Park West NE7 7BY
Company No 5844261 VAT Reg 883229207
This e-mail (and any attachment) is intended only for the attention of the
addressee(s). Its unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not
permitted. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all copies
and inform the sender by return e-mail.