Re: OOW 2013

  • From: Matthew Zito <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: saad4u@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 17:59:00 -0400

Hey guys, I won't be there this year, alas.  My general tips:
- If you can't stay at a hotel very close to the event, you might be better
off using AirBNB to rent an apartment for your stay.  Some of the
"official" hotels are very far from the moscone center, and while they have
shuttle buses and the like, it's a huge pain to get around (and the hotels
can be very expensive)
- For those who don't use it, OpenTable is your friend when trying to find
spots to eat around Moscone for dinner.  Many many places will be booked up
for large groups and private parties, or have lots of people waiting for
walk-up tables.  Book a reservation on OpenTable ahead of time and head
straight to the front of the line
- The 5th floor bar in the palomar hotel is quite nice, quiet, and almost
always empty in the afternoon and early evening during OracleWorld, as
conference attendees don't realize it's there, whereas most of the other
ground-floor bars in the area are packed, making it a good place to meet up
with people.
- Try to get out from the market street area at night.  I know it's easy
enough to just bum around SoMa and Market, but SF is a really interesting
city.  There's awesome mexican food in the Mission, Nob Hill has some
beautiful italian food that you will have earned once you walk up the hill,
fisherman's wharf is....touristy (I'd avoid it), but anyway - try to get
out and see the city.  Chinatown is great.
- Don't rent a car.  If you're staying at an Oracle hotel, there will be a
shuttle bus.  If not, ask the hotel to explain how to get there via mass
transit.  Parking will murder you.  You can also do taxis *there*, but at
the end of the day, it will be basically impossible to fight for a cab when
50,000 other attendees are all trying to get back to their hotel ASAP
instead of waiting for the buses.

I know none of these are directly related to the conference itself, but
everyone else here seems to have that covered.  If anyone has any questions
or needs recommendtations for places to eat and the like, I am (almost
constantly) in san francisco it seems, so feel free to email me offlist.

Thanks,
Matt