Re: OLTP help

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Herring Dave - dherri" <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:09:57 -0700

On 8/18/06, Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Jared. This table is primarily accessed to retrieve one row at a time, to update a status of a particular job, for example. This really should be indexed as there's no need to scan all 100k rows multiple times per minute. With an index it'd be hitting a block at a time instead of multi-blocked read of 1M. Why busy the cache way more than necessary, especially with hundreds of updates a day, causing the blocks to be flushed out.

I missed that in the original post.  Like I said, it's Friday.

Yes, an index is probably in order.

-- Jared Still Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist