Re: OLTP compression slow update

  • From: rjamya <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 07:52:29 -0500

I saw this first in early 10g versions of plain vanilla compression (not
fancy oltp etc). We  were analyzing http/smtp logs collected company-wide,
Initially we had daily partitions. since it started getting large quickly
(we had open web at that time), I introduced partition compression, it
worked like magic. When updates (due to occasional re-loads, corrections,
ranking etc) to compressed partitions took long, we redesigned our
strategy. Kept 7 days worth of parttions uncompressed, and everything older
was compressed. That worked out well in the end. I guess the update issue
on compressed data still needs work then :)
Raj