OID, 10g, Autodiscovery, resolv.conf, and Linux

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:34:55 -0400

Hi all,

I'm finally getting ready to roll out OID here.  Some of you may
remember my previous postings WRT OID a year or more ago.  Well, the
wheels turn slowly around here, but if all goes well, I may have
everything cut over by end of the year.

So, I'm doing some preproduction testing, specifically with 10g clients
and Autodiscovery.  The problem I'm having is that Autodiscovery simply
doesn't work, unless /etc/resolv.conf contains a 'domain' line.  The
problem w/ putting a domain line into /etc/resolv.conf, is that it and
the 'search' line are mutually exclusive.  We want to have a 'search'
line, cause we have hosts spread across at least three different
domains.   To further the confusion, even though the 'resolv.conf' man
page explicitly states that these are mutually exclusive options, if you
put them both in resolv.conf, everything works fine, as long as the
'domain' line precedes the 'search' line!

I'm just wondering if anyone else is doing OID, 10g clients, and
Autodiscovery, on Linux, and how you overcame this problem?

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies

ProQuest...Start here.