RE: [OFF TOPIC] College Degree

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:57:27 -0500

Alan,

    Is a college degree worth a pile of manure?  Well I'd say that it
has to do with the career your interested in if it really has a need for
a degree.  My daughter has her PHD in some sort of bio-chem stuff & it
serves her very well.  Her dad on the other side of the fence got yanked
out of the middle of an Electronics degree by the draft in 72.  Having
number 33 that year was not conducive to further activities of your own
since the local draft folks were about as warm and Lake Winnipesauke up
here in NH in the middle of winter.  So off to the Air Force I went
(only way of avoiding the draft folks) and 20+ years later out I came
with 5 years of experience around Oracle.  Since then that electronics
degree, which I did finish, has been nothing more than a nice piece of
wallpaper.  Nice to have, but of little other value.

    So how would a different degree help, probably not much better than
the one I currently have.  Therefore I'm not pursuing one.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International