Re: OFA and Linux FHS (or other unix standards)

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 08:59:17 -0600

On 20/08/2014 7:30 AM, Jeremy Schneider wrote:
Should OFA still be used together with outside unix standards (like FHS) today or has the literal "/u##/app" manifestation of OFA become so ubiquitous now that it has become its own standard?

-Jeremy

Another nice summary for FHS is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

I'd attempted a reconciliation several years ago, but came to the conclusion that no one would use it. Roughly along the same lines as: the doc says you can use any usename to own the oracle s/w, the doc examples all use 'oracle:oinstall', and creating local standards will simply cause difficulty for anyone attempting to hire dbas.

I've had customers hire consultants and contractors who literally could not handle 'non-standard' (read, not in the documented examples) variants in username and directory structure. Indeed, one very 'senior' consultant setting the architecture for a high availability, high security project did not understand how one could administer the database without logging on as user oracle. (Politically, I lost, and the project ended up with millions in cost overruns, and missing all HA and security goals.)

Most DBAs I know aren't even aware that the /u01/app/oracle represents /u01/app/*username* and think the 'oracle' means the app.

For a number of years some of us, including Oracle U, used /opt/oracle as ORACLE_BASE (but again a lot of people thought the "oracle" referred to the app) and some even tried putting files under /var/opt/oracle - /data, /logs, /fra, etc. but that got shut down with Oracle's other use of /var/opt/oracle

Once Oracle moved stuff into diag, I personally gave up and acknowledged that Oracle provides a pretty much self-contained ecosystem, and now pretty much just stick with the docs.

I do have a variant, that I try to stick to, in the Oracle tree: /u01/app/oracle/product actually has a layer for product under it ( /oms, /oma, /rdbms, /wls, /ofm (fusion middleware, generic), /bi, etc) so I can keep some semblance of consistency, as I get the impression the middleware guys don't seem to have a sense of order yet.

And at the bottom of the tree, I also divide out the standard edition and the enterprise edition ORACLE_HOMEs explicitly as a reminder to 'watch it' when applying those wonderful patches that change edition and feature sets.

In effect, the OFA recommends
/u01/app/oracle/product/12.0.1/db

but, to account for other products, I have
/u01/app/oracle/product/oms/12.1.0.4
/u01/app/oracle/product/oma/12.1.0.4
/u01/app/oracle/product/rdbms/12.1.0/se/db1
/u01/app/oracle/product/rdbms/12.1.0/ee/db1
/u01/app/oracle/product/rdbms/11.2.0/ee/db1
/u01/app/oracle/product/wls/12.1.0
and
/u01/app/grid/product/ ...

Bottom line - it's easier to go with the flow ... but please understand the flow and the implications. ;-)
/Hans