OEMGC on VM with Windows 2008 Server

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:56:09 -0700 (PDT)

Ello everyone!
Just a little pro-active research here...:)  The boss is investigating and
would like to test building our OEMGC on a VM, (VMWare, paid version 4 or they
are researching the free version, but that makes me a bit nervous...)  This is
version 10.2.0.5 on the OEM and also house our RMAN catalog.

This VM server would also be home for our 11g, (11.0.7.0) Apex and an open
source 10.2.0.4 ODBC bridge to SQL Server.

My previous experience with OEM on a VM server was not very positive, but it
was a couple years ago and due to, (my theory here...) misconfiguration of the
resources that allowed the OEM VM to be starved for the resources in CPU and
memory it required to run 24/7.

Anyone out there running OEM and/or Apex on VMWare or another VMServer?  Any
recommendations?  Warnings?  Risks and gotchas?  I prefer to be as prepared as
possible in the upcoming build vs. going in blind... :)

Thanks!

Kellyn Pedersen
Sr. Database Administrator
I-Behavior Inc.