RE: OEMGC and Standard Edition?

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jkstill@xxxxxxxxx" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, Gus Spier <gus.spier@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 12:05:07 -0700 (PDT)

I think that's the challenge-  scripting to monitor what's important and to
avoid scripting that creates "white noise" that you learn to ignore which leads
a DBA to missed issues...

I can't stand receiving emails that say "I'm OK", where I prefer to have a
second script on another server checking my script server to verify everything
is running, etc, etc..

Now I did have to overhaul a huge "lot" of shell scripts at a now defunct
company that was overscripted to the point of making me laugh...  The author
was a formidable shell scripter, but if anyone is familiar with the old joke,
"the evolution of a programmer", (begins with "echo hello" which returns hello
--> evolves to "advanced" programmer, writes 5000 lines and still only returns
"hello") -- That was THIS GUY!  8000 line shell script for what I could do in
25.... I finally got to meet this DBA at RMOUG three years back and told him we
had some words to share about shell scripting!  He must have turned four shades
of red, poor guy... :)

Keep it simple, make it robust, create error handling and redundancy checks,
only report on what matters... :)

Kellyn Pedersen
Sr. Database Administrator
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen
www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Jared Still

 IMO there some elements of using monitoring scripts that must be done
correctly to be useful.