Re: OEM or lots of code?

  • From: "Arif Gulzar" <gulzar.arif@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 16:42:08 -0400

Any idea when we could have 11g RDBMS install binaries available ? i am
waiting to install and explore it at my test/development environment.

Arif

On 7/9/07, Chris Dunscombe <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Robert,

My only comment is that AFAIK most of the OEM Advisories require one of
the
chargeable packs e.g. Tuning, Diagnostics etc. How many sites are actually
licensed to use these packs and hence the OEM Advisories? Hence how much
page
coverage, in relation to other features, is appropriate for features that
most
people SHOULDN'T be using due to licensing.

Just a point for you to consider.

Cheers,

Chris

Quoting Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>:

> In this new book, I'm considering biasing my coverage to OEM for a few
> reasons:
>
> 1. OEM is less complex to use.
> 2. Adding coverage for both will take up many more pages. When you are
> writing a book you are limited to a page count range, so depth is
limited
> based on this too.
> 3. The Code route, in and of itself, can be complex. I'm not sure if
it's
> worth the extra time to add the code in some cases just because of this
> complexity.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone who has used these features or suspect they will
use
> them in the future has a preference. In some cases, if page count
allows,
> I'll do both. In some cases I need to select either/or due to page count
> considerations. In the past, I've been very heavily code oriented and
really
> relegated OEM to the background, but now I'm thinking of moving in the
other
> direction.
>
> Thoughts??
>
> RF