Re: OEM or lots of code?

  • From: "John Kanagaraj" <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:08:08 -0700

Robert,

I'm wondering if anyone who has used these features or suspect they will use
them in the future has a preference. In some cases, if page count allows,
I'll do both. In some cases I need to select either/or due to page count
considerations. In the past, I've been very heavily code oriented and really
relegated OEM to the background, but now I'm thinking of moving in the other
direction.

I had the same question when I wrote my chapters, and ended up showing
both. Reviews showed that the readers like this approach. I followed
up the book with a COLLAB paper that went under the hood so I can show
more in-depth stuff. On a practical side, as a working DBA that needs
to manage scores of databases, I *cannot* afford to login to multiple
DB Control (or multiple links from Grid Control) instances to check.
To enable alerts, one needs descriptions/pointers to the right set of
WR views/tables and SQL that can extract this information and
massage/summarize it for you... And I believe that providing this part
via a book is the author's responsibility.... In other words, you need
to cover what Oracle's marketing material and WPs cannot do in their
glossies, and show some of the down-and-dirty that Oracle will NOT
show you via the documentation....

Regards,

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc