RE: OEM justification

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <MFontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nigel_cl_thomas@xxxxxxxxx>, <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:33:42 -0400

FWIW -

My "nice man" really pushed OEM when 10gR2 was first announced.  After
we complained about numerous problems, opened numerous SRs, barely got
it running, and complained during a "trial period" about the many
tribulations and conditions we had to overcome to use it, he seemed to
crawl back into his cubby hole and never mentioned/pushed it again.

I think Oracle had a big sales push for the concept, and they got so
much pushback, it has since fallen on it's face.  We continue to use
TOAD and other standard means (statspack, trace, homegrown scripts, etc)
to analyze our performance issues at much lower cost.  I have yet to
find anyone in a rather large town (Dallas) for Oracle users who are
really making great use of the performance add-ons available with OEM.
No one I know has recommended their use at the price they are being
offered.