Re: ODA - VM question (Windows)

  • From: David Ramírez Reyes <dramirezr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: backseatdba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 15:15:52 -0600

I have never liked MS Products (with the exception of Office, I have to
say), but here in the company we have 8 DB's running over Windows (it was
CIO decision, don't ask).

These are small databases (120 GB the biggest) but very critical for the
business as they are in use 24x7x365 and I have to say that the performance
and stability is surprisingly good (11g R2 with Win Server 2008
-virtualized over VMWare).

You have to be careful when you request Oracle support because they will
tell you that they don't certificate the DB over a virtualized environment
-at least not 11g R2 and not over Windows- and they will use that to
explain any possible bad behavior on the DB, even if it's not related.

Of course am still against this use, as I know all the features and
possibilities Oracle DB has over Linux/Unix environments and are not
available for Windows, but I would lie if I say that everything is a mess.

Here's a a good like that I would suggest you to check before starting
working over Windows (specially if you are used to work with Linux/Unix for
the DB server, which was my case), this is very good beginning:

http://www.rampant-books.com/art_oracle_on_windows_unix_users.htm

Good luck...

Regards

David Ramírez Reyes