ODA 11gR2 DBs Restart with _1 Suffix

  • From: Jack Applewhite <jack.applewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Group <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 19:56:06 +0000

This morning we had all four standalone databases on one node of an X4 ODA
abort, then restart on their own with new instance names having the _1 suffix.
We think we know the problem - a break in communication with the ASM instance,
as shown in the alert logs. We've opened an SR with Oracle, but haven't had
spotty luck with their knowledge of all things ODA.

We shut down a couple of the minor *_1 instances and restarted them as normal,
no problem. The other two are more heavily used and we're waiting to restart
them this afternoon. We can understand the DBs going down, but, if they could
(within about 5 min.) restart on their own as *_1 instances, why not just
restart as they were? Anyone have a suggestion?

1. How did the ASM connection problem "heal"?

2. Why did the DBs restart as *_1? Is this an artifact of Oracle Restart being
enabled on the ODAs?

Thanks for any advice.

----
Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk)

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential student
and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under
the federal Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. §1232g, 34 CFR
Part 99, 19 TAC 247.2, Gov't Code 552.023, Educ. Code 21.355, 29 CFR
1630.14(b)(c)). If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use,
disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender
immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message,
including attachments.