RE: OCP DBA question?

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx, <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>, <DEVA@xxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:05:17 +0000

I don't know of any employers that require certification in the Washington, DC
area. Any that do would probably just be consulting companies(glorified body
shops) that want to put some junk on a resume so they can make more money off
of you.

its not worth paying for the class. If your company pays for it, do it. if not,
its not worth it.

However, I did interview a certified masters a few months ago and he was the
best person I ever interviewed. However, his former company paid for the whole
thing.
From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Maybe not worth it for you, but that depends - many employers still require
certification.  I learned a lot from my studying for the certifications, but
that was a result of the effort I put into it.  I also read the material
thoroughly and practice to make sure I understand the concepts and don't just
remember the syntax for the test.

I took the online (instructor-led) course a few years back and it did quailify
for the Oracle course back then, but that could've changed by now so you'd
better confirm with Oracle.  Funny thing is that you don't really even have to
be there - you could just log your PC in for the course and then go out to the
beach for the day, so the whole course requirement is a joke as far as I'm
concerned.  I think it serves more to make extra money for Oracle Education
rather than improve the image of the OCP.

Regards,
Brandon

From: "Syed Jaffar Hussain" <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>

OCA doesn't have any pre-requisits. Without attending any OU course, one can
sit for OCA.
In order to complete OCP, one need to provide the pre-requisit course
attendance details before.

2. Does a online course/CBT perhaps qualify as a hands on?
This need to cross check with the prerequisits. Or probably sending an email to
ocp exam team would be good idea.

On 2/28/07, Denham Eva <DEVA@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
This email is subject to Terms and Conditions as found in our Email Legal
Notice which forms part of this email message in terms of section 11 of the
Electronic Communications and Transaction Act 25 of 2002.    Please click on
http://www.mf.co.za/content/EMAIL_Legal_Notice.asp , or send a blank email to
disclaim@xxxxxxxx . By receiving, reading or acting upon this email you will
automatically be bound by the terms of the  Email Legal Notice.
Mutual & Federal Insurance Company Limited
Authorised Financial Services Provider

Hello,

I have been wanting to do my certification for awhile but as a contractor it
means having to loose income and paying ZAR12000 which equates to a huge chunk
of finance in South Africa.
My question is this:
1. Can I write the exams and do the required hands on course at the end or is
it a requirement for doing at the begining of the certification.
2. Does a online course/CBT perhaps qualify as a hands on? (As time is a
problem - always :-) Lets face it passing the exam is the point is it not?
Rather than warming an Oracle University seat?

TIA
Regards
denham

--
Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain

"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."