OCM clarifications

  • From: Kumar Madduri <ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle Freelists <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 08:16:56 -0700

Hi
I was considering to take the OCM exam and had a few thoughts/questions
which I hope the list can help
- When I read the blogs of those who passed OCM and general material, I
understood that it is about speed. If you have worked as a DBA for few
years and have worked in most of the 'skill sets' you can probably pass the
exam with distinction if given (let us say 3 hrs per skill set. I am just
throwing up some number).
So if it is only speed that is going to matter, then is it worth. I mean,
how many times would we be given a task in which I have to create a
database in 10 minutes.

- It would be disheartening to know if I did not pass the exam and it is
not an inexpensive exam. I may feel "oh wow, I cannot pass the exam after
working on all these areas for x number of years ".

- If you have an OCM on your resume, is it not a double edged sword ?  The
DBAs in an organization that is hiring would be apprehensive if they want
to hire an OCM (if they are not already OCM)  (could be various reasons -
expensive, attitude , do we really need an OCM level for this job or any
other combination).

- One thing I could think of is, it is not for anything  but for our own
satisfaction that I could take this exam. It is the personal gratification
and satisfaction that I am an OCM and to blog and crow about it :)

Thank you
Kumar