Number of database writers in Oracle 9i2

  • From: "Hameed, Amir" <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:34:24 -0500

Does anyone know the algorithm that Oracle uses to spawn DBWR processes
in Oracle9i2 ? We are running two instances of 9.2.0.4 (from the same
Oracle home) on a 40-CPU SunFire 15K server. One is an 11i apps instance
with 650GB database and 3GB SGA size and over 600 data files. The other
is a very small instance with around 15 data files. Per a Metalink
document, Oracle spawns #CPU/8 DBWR processes in 9i. This statement
holds true for the larger instance which has five DBWR process but the
smaller instance has only one. I am assuming that the spawned DBWR
processes is also a function of number of data files that the DBWR has
to write to.
Any help will be appreciated

Regards
Amir